Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fourth World



Perhaps, my post to today should be called Musings ON the moribund.

Franz Kafka wrote of his Father:

"Hence the world was for me divided into three parts: into one in which I, the slave, lived under the laws that had been invented only for me and which I could, I did not know why, never completely comply with; then into a second world, which was infinitely remote from mine, in which you lived, concerned with your government, with the issuing of orders and with annoyance about their not being obeyed; and finally into a third world where everybody else lived happily and free from orders and from having to obey." (Dearest father, 148)

I dreamed of my own Father last night and cried. Like Kafka I had a strained relationship with mine. Like Karl in America, whose Father sent him off across the ocean after he was seduced by a scullery maid, I took off away from mine and never managed to really come back before he died. The third world that Kafka references has never seemed like my own third world. To me that world is one where others willingly obey and I long so to live in a fourth world resembling the third world of Kafka. I do not understand the will to obey and live with orders that seems so prevalent in the rest of the outward world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear one, what is the acorn doing right now? (specifically in relation to the mackerel?)
It has been so much benefit in my own poor examples of strain to be quiet. From my own construct, so much needless suffering. And that is okay, it is good to know it sooner than later.
Truly, this third world of Kafka's and this fourth of yours, to what are they superior?
Isn't it womderful that you and I can say what is needed and when it is needed?
What would you call that world, where a simple thing such as a timely email makes one feel happy?
The fact that it can be so means that you have already in place what you think that perhaps you do not.
You know I would prefer a world where you and I could do this over dal, sambhar, rice, (all with plenty of ghee!) and gulab jamuns (and besan laddoos!) but the fact of the matter is the pleasure still remains. I so wish to live the kind of world that I need. It's funny how it manifests itself.
The point of the matter, dear Professor, my friend, is to trust yourself.
You'll know what kind of ride that acorn needs to take. Tell yourself to be quiet and listen.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters
Locations of visitors to this page